Molding Carbon Fiber Components
FRP-Carbon Fiber Composite Advantages
- Tooling Costs much less than comparable cast metal molds.
- Tooling Life typically 3–4 times and up to 5 times as long.
- CF Molding allows small or large components to be molded.
- Very complex, intricate parts can be molded or formed!
FRP-CF Composite vs. Laid-up Carbon Fiber
- FRP-CF Composite can produce very intricate, complex parts to be molded or formed. L-CF cannot.
- FRP-CF Composite molding can be fully automated. L-CF requires intensive and costly manual labor.
- FRP-CF Composite does not require heat curing. L-CF requires curing in an autoclave or oven.
- FRP-CF Composite parts can be made more efficiently and less expensively than parts being produced by the L-CF process without sacrificing performance and can therefore open-up whole new markets.
FRP-CF Composite – Additional Benefits
- Reduced NVH compared to metal parts.
- Smaller carbon footprint – no melting metal.
- Minimum heat signature compared to metal parts.
- Recyclable process.
- Suitable replacement for aluminum, magnesium and some iron parts.